Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mesa County Fair 2010

When my best friend (and twin) Molly decided to come to me with the idea of entering a few of my drawings to fair this year...I laughed. I'm just not ready for that yet. I mean, there is still so much I need to learn! Which means, most of my drawings look "flat". So, I had to tell her no. She didn't give up though. When my boss got ear, she too encouraged me to enter. But I still wasn't feeling it. Molly told me that she'd be entering some of her photos into the fair this year. And that did it. I started looking thru my computer files looking at all the pics I've taken since Dad gave me one of his cameras. I found two....both Lighthouse pictures. I also came across my photos from the Korean Friendship Bell. I decided to send both lighthouse photos and my abstract pagoda photos to Walgreens to be blown up and printed. When I picked them up before work that same day, I was excited to show them to my friends and get their input. I never intended to "show" my pagoda. But my boss insisted that I HAD TO enter that one to fair. Of coarse, I had ONE day to get my photos matted and framed before entering them the next day. Let me tell you! There is NOTHING like waiting until the last minute. lol. Thankfully all the frames were on sale. But the mats were a different story! They only had TWO black mats left. And guess what? I bought them both. Needless to say, I was a wreck the next day entering my "babies" to fair. On Tuesday, my boss asked me if I had checked on them and if I placed. I hadn't even known when they were judging! She told me that they had judged on Monday. YIKES! I forced Jaron to take me down to the fairgrounds and pay the rediculous cost of $17 for us all to get in.....just so I could see the results. He was NOT amused. When we made it to the building that housed all the drawings, photos and paintings...I almost froze with anxiety. I just didn't think I could go in and be disappointed. So, I took a deep breath and forced myself to walk through those doors. I was overwhelmed by the amount of artwork on the walls. And just the amount of talent portrayed. I quickly found my lighthouse photo and was totally in shock. I had placed third. I hadn't even expected that one to place...because it's so "normal" of a shot. But it did. I moved down the wall in search of my pagoda.... and finally found that one too....with a third place ribbon as well! I was beaming!!! I mean, I'm not an excellent photographer...there is still so much I get confused on. Okay, I get confused over everything that is camera related! lol. So, to place on both just totally made my week! (^_^) lol And guess what? I'm already thinking about what to do for next years fair. lol. I promised a drawing in fair....so that is definitely something I'm going to be working on. But I think too, there will definitely be some photos entered. <3>







Rustler's Loop

Rustler's Loop
Overlooking the CO river

About Me

My photo
Grand Junction, CO
I'm a "part-time" working mom of three, married to my best friend of 13 yrs...who loves to hike, draw, listen to music, play on the internet and hang out with friends!